Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Since this is the first year of Mitch and I being married, we haven't really gotten in the groove yet of our family traditions we have with each other.  I am sure they will come with time.  Here are some of the things I would like to start next year or at least eventually.  I say next year because this year we haven't lived in the same place for some of the time.  So, next year will be our first family Christmas in our own house!  Can't wait!! 

First and for most, the Christmas Tree debate.  I would like to start the tradition of having Christmas decorations going up the weekend following Thanksgiving.  Since Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday, the weekend after would be a perfect time to decorate the house.  Or at least get everything down from the attic.  I am wanting to go all out next year so, I am thinking it may take more than a few hours to decorate the tree and house. 

Second, an advent calendar.  This may have to wait a few years until we actually have kids, but still one day, I would like that to be a tradition. 

Third, Christmas light drive around.  I would like nothing more than to load up with some hot chocolate and drive around the city to look at Christmas lights.  That sounds awesome to me!

Fourth, going to the angel tree and everyone getting an angel.  I have been so blessed in my life and there is no better time than giving back to someone in need than Christmas.  It breaks my heart to think that children may wake up on Christmas morning expecting Santa to have came and they wake up with nothing.  I truly hope if nothing else, I can teach my kids the gift of giving. 

Fifth, Christmas Eve service then dinner.  I have big plans for this!!!  Maybe eventually this will move to Christmas Day dinner, but for now I like the idea of Christmas Eve dinner.  I see it perfectly in my head with coming home to a great meal on my Christmas dishes, everyone getting to open one gift (of my choosing of course) then, getting your Christmas pajamas (the ones everyone got for one of their advent calendar gifts) and playing games until you are too tired to keep your eyes open.  Sounds perfect to me!!

Sixth, waking up early and opening gifts then having Christmas morning breakfast.  This is actually a tradition that my family did growing up!  We would always wake up on Christmas Day, open gifts, go get ready to head to Stilwell while Dad made a huge breakfast for everyone.  This is one tradition that will always stay in place no matter where we are. 

Seventh, head to the mountains the day after Christmas for a few days.  Mitch and I have done this the last 2 years and we are going to try and make it something we do every year if possible.  We love being up in the mountains!

Last, taking the Christmas decorations down.  I would like to have a goal to have it all taken down and put back up in storage by January 5th.  Random day I know, but if we continue to go to the mountains after Christmas, it makes it a little longer before we are able to do that.  Maybe I should just say within 3 days of returning home from our mountain vacation.  That way I give myself one day to rest and do laundry after getting back, one day to take things down and put it up in the attic and another to get my house put back together for the new year!

I love traditions and I hope there are many more to come in the following years!


 

1 comment:

  1. I think before Jan 4th is an even better day to have the decorations down! No Xmas on my birthday!!

    ReplyDelete