Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winter Vacation in Taos Part 1

Mitch and I love the mountains and Taos so much that we have made it a yearly event to go the week after Christmas through New Year's.  This is the second year we have gone and it was a great time!  Mitch and I left for Perryton on Christmas night.  We decided we wanted to drive half way so we wouldn't have a long drive and so we could get there early in the day.  We pulled up to Taos around 2pm on the 26th.  After settling in we headed out to dinner at our favorite spot in Taos, Graham's Grill.  Graham's is always good, but this was our favorite meal we ever have had there.  It was delicious! 

This is the cookbook from Graham's.  I have only tried a few things so far, but they have all been great!

The next morning we woke up bright and early and headed into town for breakfast.  We hit up our favorite breakfast spot at Michael's Kitchen.  It was so good and one of our favorite breakfasts we have ever had!
I always get the Poor Man's Eggs Benedict and I have made it a mission for 2012 to try and replicate the dish in my own kitchen!
 Best breakfast in Taos!


Also, our first few days in Taos we had the privilege of getting to see some of the wildlife that lives around Valle Escondido.  We saw deer everyday and what was left of a mountain lion visit.  We originally thought the mountain lion was a bear, but seeing as how it is winter they are already sleeping for the winter.  Sadly, luckily for us, the mountain lion visit was at night so we never saw him in person!




After a few days of alone time, we had friends join us on Wednesday the 28th!  This week we were joined by the Bolens, Carrolls, Skinners and Teeples.  We had a such a great time!  Everyone minus Charlie and myself went skiing .


Mitch and his Christmas ski pants!  I love Elizabeth in the background of this pic!


All the boys {minus Preston}


The Taos gang!

After dropping everyone off, Charlie and I headed back down the mountain to explore Taos.  We had a great time visiting the Earthships, The Gorge bridge, shopping around town and lunch.  Since I am new with my camera, Charlie posed for lots of pics!

These are the Earthships!  They are made out of 100% recycled material.


Miss Charlie posing by the Earthship

All of the silver is the bottom of pop cans.  Also, notice the tires in the wall.


The colors are cans or bottles that are colored


The Gorge Bridge-It's like a mini Grand Canyon in Taos


We went exploring

After a long day on the slopes we hit up another great dinner spot, The Trading Post.  It was very yummy!  Then, it was back to the cabin for games! 




TO BE CONTINUED.......



 

No comments:

Post a Comment